How To Make Money Running Marathons? (8 Ideas To Get Paid)
Whether you are a seasoned marathon runner or someone who is contemplating running a marathon for the first time, you may have asked the question of how to make money running marathons?
Unlike many who believe running marathons is only for personal achievement, there are actually many ways in which you can EARN money doing one of your favorite sporting activities.
If you are looking for some ideas on how to make money running a marathon, then this article will show you several different methods that you can use to generate income from running a marathon.
The best part about these methods is they don’t require any special skills and training. You just need to be willing to put in the work.
If you want to learn more about making money running a marathon, keep reading!
How To Make Money Running Marathons
Let’s take a look at the top ways you can make money running marathons:
1. Become an Authorized Agent
One of the easiest ways to make money running a Marathon is by becoming an authorized agent for a company that sells products related to running marathons.
This means that you would act as their representative and sell their product to other runners. In return, you get paid a commission on each sale.
The most popular companies that offer such services include:
- Running Warehouse
- Marathon Sports
- Runner’s World Magazine
2. Start Your Own Marathon Training Program
Another way to make money running a race is to start your own marathon training program. By offering it to others, you can charge them a fee to join your program.
When people sign up with your program, they pay you upfront for the privilege of joining your group.
Once they complete the training program, you give them a refund of what they paid you.
3. Run A Marathon And Sell The Finisher’s Medal
Another method of earning money running a marathon is by selling the finisher’s medal.
There are plenty of companies out there that specialize in selling medals. They usually charge anywhere from $20-$100 depending on the size of the medal.
4. Offer Seminars On How To Run A Marathon
A great way to make money running marathons is by offering seminars on how to run a marathon.
Companies like Runner’s World magazine often hold free seminars where they teach people how to run a marathon safely.
5. Write An Ebook About Running A Marathon
A good way to make money running races is to write an ebook about running a marathon. Many people find that writing ebooks are a very lucrative business.
For example, if you wrote an ebook about running a half-marathon, you could expect to make around $500.
If you wrote an ebook about completing a full marathon, you could expect to receive between $2000 – $5000.
6. Create A Website That Promotes Running Races
You can also create a website that promotes running races. This is another great way to make money from running a marathon.
It doesn’t matter whether you host the site yourself or hire a web developer to do so. All you need to do is promote the races that you organize.
7. Become An Expert On Running
There are many websites out there that allow you to become an expert on running. Some of these sites will pay you for providing information to their users.
Others will simply ask you to answer questions and respond to comments posted by other members.
8. Teach Other People How To Run A Marathon Safely
One last way to earn money running a marathon is to teach other people how to walk or run a marathon safely.
This is a great way to get into the world of coaching without having to invest any money. You can offer this service either online or offline.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do Top Runners Make Money Running A Marathon?
The first and the most common way is to place in the top ten in an established bigger marathon.
If you are not an experienced marathon runner, you can also make money running marathons through sponsorship, blogging opportunities, and sharing your experiences as a marathon runner with others.
What Are The Benefits Of Writing A Blog On Marathon Running?
Luckily there is never a shortage of people wanting to learn how to train, prevent injuries, or even read about your experiences as a runner.
Blogging gives you the opportunity to share all these things with other readers.
Writing a blog about your journey as a marathon runner will not only benefit you but will benefit those wanting to get into marathon running.
What Is A Marathon?
A marathon is a 26.2-mile race that takes place over the course of around 4 hours.
The word “marathon” comes from the Greek language meaning ‘a long way.’
The biggest marathon races include the Boston Marathon, New York City Marathon, Chicago Marathon, London Marathon, Paris Marathon, Berlin Marathon, Tokyo Marathon, and Los Angeles Marathon.
Some marathons have strict entry requirements, and they can cost a lot. For example, you must apply within the application period to enter the Chicago Marathon.
In addition to the traditional marathon, there are also half-marathons, 10K and 5K races, and even shorter distances such as the 1K and 2K.
Why Run A Marathon?
Running a marathon is not only fun but it can also provide you with many benefits. Some of these benefits include:
1. Improves Cardiovascular Health: Running a marathon helps improve your heart rate and blood pressure. Your heart becomes stronger and healthier after completing a marathon.
2. Helps Build Muscle Mass: As you exercise, your body builds muscles. After completing a marathon, your muscles will be bigger and stronger than before.
3. Promotes Weight Loss: When you run a marathon, you burn calories. As a result, you lose weight.
4. Increases Stamina: When you run a marathon, your endurance increases. You will be able to do more things in less time.
5. Boosts Self-Confidence: Running a marathon gives you a sense of accomplishment. When you complete a marathon, you feel like a winner.
6. Builds Friendships: Running a marathon together with friends can help you form strong bonds.
7. Makes You Happy: You will feel happier when you finish a marathon because you know that you accomplished something great.
8. Provides Mental Stimulation: Running a marathon provides you with mental stimulation. You will think harder and smarter while running a marathon.
9. Helps You Sleep Better: You will fall asleep faster and easier after running a marathon.
10. Helps You Live Longer: According to studies, people who regularly participate in physical activities have lower rates of death compared to those who do not.
11. Keeps You Healthy: Running a marathon keeps you fit and healthy.
12. Gives You Energy: After completing a marathon, you will feel energized and ready to take on anything.
13. Lowers Stress Levels: Stress is one of the biggest enemies of human beings. By participating in a marathon, you can reduce your stress level.
14. Helps You Learn New Skills: Running a marathon teaches you how to endure pain. It also improves your ability to handle difficult situations.
15. Helps You Stay Focused: If you want to accomplish something, you must focus on what you need to do. Running a marathon makes you focus on what you need.
Top Tips To Run A Marathon
Running a marathon takes skill and determination.
It requires a lot of dedication and endurance to build up the strength and stamina necessary to compete in a marathon race.
Here are our top tips to complete a marathon successfully:
1. Train Properly
It is important for you to train properly if you want to run a marathon.
The best way to prepare yourself for a marathon is by running shorter distances at least once every week.
2. Start Slow
The first thing you should do when preparing to run a marathon is to start slow. If you try to run too fast right away, you may injure yourself.
3. Eat Right
Make sure that you eat enough food during training.
Eating nutritious foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean meats, whole grains, nuts, and seeds will keep you healthy.
4. Drink Plenty Of Water
Drinking plenty of water will keep you hydrated. Dehydration leads to fatigue which affects your performance.
5. Get Enough Rest
During training, make sure that you rest well. Try to sleep eight hours each night. This will allow your body to recover from the hard work it has done.
6. Take Care Of Your Feet
Take care of your feet before starting your training. Wear comfortable shoes and socks. Also, wear proper footwear so that your feet don’t get blisters.
7. Prepare Yourself For The Weather
When you plan to run a marathon, make sure that you consider the weather conditions. Choose the time of year when the weather is most suitable for you.
8. Have Fun With Friends
When you decide to run a marathon, choose a friend or family member to join you. Having someone there to encourage you will give you more motivation to finish the race.
The Bottom Line
If you have a passion for running, you might consider turning that into a career.
There are many ways to go about doing this. Still, most involve starting a company that sells products related to running. For example, you could sell shoes, clothing, nutrition supplements, etc.
And if you’re interested in becoming a running coach, check the running coaching training programs.